Monday, April 23, 2018

6th Grade Parent Letter

Here is the letter that went home with 6th grade students:




Dear 6th grade Parents,
I have thoroughly enjoyed teaching your children in Math these last few weeks. During this time I have had time to work with each student in order to help inform me of their current skills. I am finding that their skills are in a good place and they are ready to tackle getting deeper into mathematics thinking. By the end of 6th grade, students need to understand the following:
  • Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide whole numbers
  • Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide fractions, including decimals
  • Understand Ratio concepts, use ratio language to describe ratio relationships
  • Recognize and generate equivalent expressions involving fractions, decimals and percents
  • Apply the commutative, distributive and associative of operations
  • Create, interpret, use and analyze expressions, equations and inequalities
  • Be able to solve real world problems
In addition, current expectations in Math require that students take into consideration the eight Math Practice Standards, which are continually worked on during our lessons.
This is not the first time I have had the opportunity to work with 6th graders starting at this time of the year. Last year I had a group most of the year. However, in prior years, I have started at a similar time of year working with 6th graders in math.
I do want you to know that your children, for the most part, have solid math skills. My focus will be on integrating the eight math practice standards, as well as working with them to use their knowledge to solve real world problems. I have no doubt that this group of 6th graders will be in a solid place for tackling math class at U-32 next year.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.


Sincerely,

Anne Carter, M.Ed.
Math Interventionist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tech Night!

Dear EMES Community, Join us on Tuesday June 12th from 5:30-7:15 for EMES Tech Night. Schedule of events: 5:30-6:15 Presentatio...